Leading up to the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 13, there were seven title matches. In each of them, the champion wound up losing. As such, the stakes were raised even higher for Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kenny Omega.
Both men put their bodies on the line during the lengthy main event. Countless of brutal spots from dives to dragon screws occurred. Despite all of the damage, neither would give up. It demonstrated just how important the IWGP Heavyweight Championship was to both participants.
After an incredible ending stretch that saw both men take incredible bumps, Tanahashi managed to win with a high five flow.
- Chaos (Beretta, Chuckie T, & Hirooki Goto) vs. David Finlay, Jeff Cobb, & Yuji Nagata vs. Most Violent Players (Togi Makabe & Toru Yano) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Suzuki-gun (Davey Boy Smith, Jr., Lance Archer, & Minoru Suzuki) vs. the Elite (Hangman Page, Marty Scurll, & Yujiro Takahashi) (NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship #1 Contender’s Gauntlet Match)
- David Finlay, Jeff Cobb, & Yuji Nagata eliminate the Elite by pinfall with a schoolboy pin from Finlay on Yujiro.
- David Finlay, Jeff Cobb, & Yuji Nagata eliminate Chaos by pinfall with a schoolboy pin from Finlay on Taylor after Chuck missed a moonsault.
- Suzuki-gun (Davey Boy Smith, Jr., Lance Archer, & Minoru Suzuki) eliminate Finlay, Cobb, & Nagata by pinfall with the Killer Bomb from Killer Elite Squad on Finlay.
- Most Violent Players (Togi Makabe & Toru Yano) & Ryusuke Taguchi win, last eliminating Suzuki-gun by pinfall with a low blow and a schoolboy pin from Yano on Smith to become #1 contenders to the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship.
- Will Ospreay over Kota Ibushi (c) by pinfall with Storm Breaker to win the NEVER Openweight Championship.
- Medics stretcher Ibushi out after the match, hopefully just a precautionary measure.
- Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI & Shingo Takagi) over Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH) and Suzuki-gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru) (c) by pinfall with Last of the Dragon from Takagi on SHO to win the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship.
- Zack Sabre, Jr. over Tomohiro Ishii (c) by submission with Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than the Last; The Inexorable March of Progress Will Lead Us All To Happiness to win the RPW British Heavyweight Championship.
- Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL & SANADA) over Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) (c) and Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) by pinfall with Magic Killer and a moonsault from SANADA on Matt to win the IWGP Tag Team Championship.
- Juice Robinson over Cody Rhodes (c) by pinfall with two Pulp Frictions to win the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship.
- Taiji Ishimori over KUSHIDA (c) by pinfall with Bloody Cross to win the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship.
- “Switchblade” Jay White over Kazuchika Okada by pinfall with Blade Runner, clean as a sheet.
- Tetsuya Naito over Chris Jericho (c) by pinfall with a title belt shot to the face and Destino to win the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. (No Disqualification Match)
- Hiroshi Tanahashi over Kenny Omega (c) by pinfall with High Fly Flow to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship for a record eighth time.
- Post-match, Tanahashi cuts a promo saying he wasn’t sure he could climb the mountain again, but with the support of Katsuyori Shibata and all the rest of his friends and fans, he got there. He initially claims he’s too worn out for air guitar, but he gives his fans one quick riff all the same.