The main event for the Bound for Glory pay-per-view (PPV), which emanated from the Melrose Ballroom in New York, New York, was Austin Aries defending his world title against Johnny Impact.
They did all they could to make this feud personal in the last week, most of that outside of Impact television. Aries tweeted some personal insults about Johnny and his wife Taya Valkyrie, which he ended up deleting, possibly as part of the story, possibly because they went too far in a couple of ways. Johnny did an interview with TMZ where he and Taya spoke about how Aries had gone too far. They brawled at the hall of fame ceremony for Abyss last night.
That animosity found its way into the main event, but that didn’t mean we didn’t get the flash we’re used to from Johnny Impact.
I mean c’mon!
As the match wore on, and as Aries couldn’t put Johnny away, he started getting frustrated. He stared down Taya, who was in Johnny’s corner, a couple times. Then towards the end of the match, he purposely nailed her with a suicide dive.
Johnny has seen his wife deal with worse in Lucha Underground so he focused on the match instead, soon hitting a brainbuster and Starship Pain for the win.
After taking the pin, Aries immediately got up, flipped off Don Callis, and walked out. That has many wondering if there was some legit anger from Aries about the finish, though I’d guess it’s going to be part of a story going forward.
We’re now in the era of Johnny Impact, who is on the current season of Survivor, so the promotion can talk about how their champion is on a popular reality show as well.
Full Bound for Glory Results:
– Rich Swann & Willie Mack def Matt Sydal & Ethan Page when Swann pins Sydal off the Phoenix Splash. After the match, Willie Mack cuts a promo which is really just giving away a couple of front seats and putting over their sponsor.
– They play a recent TMZ interview with Johnny Impact & Taya talking about their Twitter war. Johnny is upset that Aries brought Taya into things. Then they play a clip from last night’s Hall of Fame ceremony where Johnny and Austin Aries got into each other’s faces and it turned into a brawl.
– We see Konnan was attacked backstage. He says King did it.
– Eli Drake cuts a promo before the open challenge, prior to the open challenge which includes running down the New York Giants.
James Ellsworth comes out but Eli Drake points out he’s not from New York. Ellsworth points out he was dating a girl from Staten Island and lived in her basement for a bit.
Eli Drake def. James Ellsworth via two Gravy Trains
Drake still wants a fight. And he gets Abyss! It’s not a match but a fight, which ends with Eli Drake taking a chokeslam through a table.
– Tessa Blanchard (c) def. Taya Valkyrie to retain the Knockouts championship with a flying top rope Code Breaker. Both women kicked out of each other’s finishers during the match.
– Eddie Edwards def. Moose via DQ because Killer Kross chokes out Edwards from the crowd within the first three minutes.
Tommy Dreamer comes out with a kendo stick to save his former rival! He’s making this a tag team match!
Eddie Edwards & Tommy Dreamer def. Moose & Killer Kross when Eddie rolls up Moose after Moose misses with a kendo stick. Kross and Moose beat the hell out of Eddie post match, including an apron powerbomb.
– Sami Callihan, Dave Crist, & Jake Crist def. Brian Cage, Pentagon Jr. & Fenix in an oVe rules match (which is apparently a Texas Tornado Trios match) when Callihan pinned Brian Cage after a flurry of kicks to the head (from all of oVe) and a piledriver.
– Aries cuts a backstage promo. In it, he says he’s no longer going to leave his boys in the back because he doesn’t trust management. He told Johnny to bring his wife to the ring too.
– LAX (Konnan, Santana, & Ortiz) def. the OGz (King, Hernandez, & Homicide) in a Concrete Jungle Death Match. (In this match, there was no mat in the ring. Just the wooden boards.) Konnan came out with a flapjack at the end to take out Hernandez and Homicide and King took the Street Sweeper from LAX.
– Allie goes to the Undead Realm entering the coffin like Father James Mitchell promised. Mitchell meets her there and tells her that Su Yung has Kiera Hogan in the chapel. He reminds her she can’t take her soul back though.
She goes upstairs and is soon attacked by a bridesmaid, but fights her off and then hatchets her. She then hatchets another. She lifts up a sheet to find her soul (which was just her) but left it be. She did touch its hand though, which Mitchell warned against.
Allie finds Kiera in the coffin but Su Yung sneaks behind her with an axe and stalks her around the chapel. They fight and Su gets the upperhand. She locks in the mandible claw and Allie is neutralized. But as Su is about to stab her, Allie hatchets her in the neck.
Allie returns to the chapel to get Kiera. They return to the coffin but it won’t open. Mitchell tells them he told he’d get her in, but nothing about getting out. Soon they’re surrounded by bridesmaids, but ROSEMARY POPS UP FOR THE SAVE!
They open the coffin and Kiera and Allie get in. But Su returns and Rosemary holds her off (with weird hand powers) as the other two escape.
– Impact is returning to Nashville, Tennessee at the Asylum for their next PPV.
– Johnny Impact def. Austin Aries (c) to win the Impact world championship. Pretty soon after taking the pin, Aries pops up, leaves while flipping off the crowd and Don Callis.