Wrestle Kingdom 10 event was headlined by Okada defending the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Tanahashi. The long time NJPW star won the right to challenge for the title in the Wrestle Kingdom 10 main event at the Aug. G1 25 Climax event. He then defended this against Bad Luck Fale and Tetsuya Naito.
Tanahashi is no stranger to Wrestle Kingdom main events, as he has been in the last match of 7 of these events. Could he capture the IWGP Championship once again on NJPW’s biggest stage?
Unlike Styles and Nakamura – who just wrestled one on one for the first time – these two went back and forth with plenty of reversals, showing familiarity throughout the entire match. The pace picked up to the benefit of Tanahashi who did everything he could to keep Okada off his feet, but ultimately came up short.
This match easily garnered the loudest reactions of the night as the crowd became unusually vocal for both wrestlers. In the end, Okada was able to land the final blow and get the win, in what was the match of the night for me. Only negative was how much time was spent on Okada’s leg, and it really never came into play as he continued to use dropkicks throughout. Nonetheless, an amazing match to end a fun night of wrestling, get your eyes on this entire show as soon as possible!
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 Results:
1. Pre-show: Jado won the New Japan Rumble. Accompanied to the ring by singer Momoka Ariyasu, the New Japan co-booker entered last and was the last man remaining in the ring.
2. IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match: The Young Bucks defeated reDRagon (c), Forever Hooligans, and Matt Sydal and Ricochet. The Bucks hit More Bang For Your Buck to unseat Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly, becoming the new IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions.
3. NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship Match: Toru Yano and the Briscoes defeated the Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi, Bad Luck Fale, and Tama Tonga). Jay and Mark Briscoe hit a Doomsday Device to become inaugural NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Champions.
4. Ring of Honor World Championship Match: Jay Lethal (c) defeated Michael Elgin. After interference from his manager Truth Martini, Lethal hit the Lethal Injection to retain his title.
5. IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: KUSHIDA defeated Kenny Omega (c). Ryusuke Taguchi was at ringside to fight off interference from the Young Bucks. Omega attempted the One-Winged Angel, but KUSHIDA rolled through and pinned him to become the new Junior Heavyweight Champion.
6. IWGP Tag Team Championship Match: Great Bash Heel (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma) defeated the Bullet Club (Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson) (c). After a top-rope Kokeshi headbutt from Honma and a King Kong Knee Drop from Makabe, GBH became the new IWGP Tag Team Champions.
7. Hirooki Goto defeated Tetsuya Naito. Goto fought off interference from Los Ingobernables and hit the Shouten Kai for the victory.
8. NEVER Openweight Championship Match: Katsuyori Shibata defeated Tomohiro Ishii (c). Shibata hit the PK (Penalty Kick) to end Ishii’s reign as Openweight Champion.
9. IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) defeated A.J. Styles. Nakamura secured the win with two Boma Ye knee strikes to retain his IWGP Intercontinental Championship.
10. IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada (c) defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi. Okada hit multiple Rainmaker clotheslines and pinned Tanahashi to retain the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.
Check out detailed results from ProWrestling.ME